POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cellular automata : Cellular automata Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Cellular automata
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Mar 2009 13:39:44
Message: <49cbbde0$1@news.povray.org>
I wonder if you could create a fractal CA?

Imagine a CA, where each cell is actually 9 subcells. You apply the rules to
the subcells to make them live and dead. Then after each subcell generation,
you interpret those 9 cells to decide whether the supercell is alive or dead
(like, 5+ subcells alive means the supercell is alive or some such), and it
turns out the supercells are following the same rules as the subcells.

Just a curiousity triggered by earlier quantum-is-fractal link, Wolfram's
New Science ideas, Permutation City, and
http://alcor.concordia.ca/~vpetkov/Unreasonable%20Effectiveness%20of%20Mathematics.pdf

I wonder if there's a non-utterly-brute-force way of finding such a patter.

(First post was wrong group. :-)
--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)